Monday, February 6, 2012

Oldschool Thrash Metal Bands: Annihilator (pt. 2)

Annihilator has been touring Europe and Asia constantly since 1989. Despite no touring, proper releases, virtually no press and label interest in Canada and the USA, Annihilator has become the biggest selling Canadian Metal band of all-time, yet sales in the millions are mostly due to Asia and Europe. Most of Annihilator’s catalogue cannot even be found in the band’s home country of Canada. Jeff Waters was quoted saying “I live a few blocks from the Ottawa Citizen newspaper. One day, a few years ago (2005) I contacted the Entertainment editor by email and introduced myself, gave him links to our web site and info, and asked if he might spare a few minutes to talk with me about the band (as I live a few minutes walking from his office). He told me to mail him a cd and he would consider reviewing it. He didn’t. It actually made me a bit sad, as I have been waving the flag for Canadian metal and Canadian music for over 21 years abroad and also have sold more than any other metal band from this fine land. Yet I could not even get a review or interview with our nation’s capital newspaper, when local artist’s with no deal and no cd releases, were actually getting full page/front page stories. The last thing I needed was coverage in Ottawa but I thought, out of principle, I should try. Shot down in flames! ha!”

In 2007, Annihlator released the cd titled “Metal”. It’s ten new tracks were recorded by Jeff Waters (guitar, bass and lead vocals on one song), drum legend Mike Mangini and Dave Padden (long-time vocalist and touring guitarist/vocalist). Metal also features sensational performances by some of metal’s finest players and Annihilator’s good friends, like Alexi Laiho (Children Of Bodom), Danko Jones (Danko Jones), Michael Amott and Angela Gossow (Arch Enemy), Corey Beaulieu (Trivium), William Adler (Lamb Of God), Jeff Loomis (Nevermore), Jesper Strømblad (In Flames), Steve ´Lips` Kudlow (Anvil), Anders Bjørler (The Haunted), Mike Mangini (Steve Vai, Extreme, Annihilator), Jacob Lynam (Lynam) and more.

“If you pick up only one metal cd this year, pick this one up! If it wasn’t for Annihilator, there wouldn’t be an In Flames.” – Jesper Strömblad (In Flames)

“I listen to Jeff’s new Annihilator cd ‘Metal’ in my car while zipping my son, Justis, off to high-school each morning. He puts it in the cd player and shows me all his favorite spots; it makes me proud that he digs good metal!” – Dave Mustaine (Megadeth)

“Annihilator’s ‘Metal’ is, and will live on as, a classic record.” – Willie Adler (Lamb Of God)

“The whole concept of the album is definitely fun and you don’t have to be a guitar player to enjoy it either. It’s Annihilator, it’s Metal. End of story.” – Alexi Laiho (Children Of Bodom)

“With all the guests on the new Annihilator album, ‘Metal’, it’s obvious how much of an influence Jeff Waters has had on musicians everywhere. Now it’s time for the next generation to find out how great this band is.” – Danko Jones (Danko Jones)

Check out my website for more cool music: Aaron Sparks
Check out my abstract graphics galleries: Aaron Sparks
Check out my links page for all things guitar related: Aaron Sparks

No comments:

Post a Comment